Whether we know it or not, we have all experienced the positive effects of negative ions. Every home has a built-in, natural ionizer – the shower! Our daily bathing rituals are, in effect, a form of preventive medicine.
Research shows that falling water creates thousands of negative ions by splitting neutral particles of air, freeing electrons to conduct their vitalizing functions. These electrons join with smaller air particles, giving them a predominantly negative charge.
- Negative ions, aka neg-ions, speed up the rate at which serotonin is oxidized in the bloodstream – a chemical reaction that lightens our moods and improves our spirits.
- They reduce neurosis and anxiety, heighten appetite and thirst, and stimulate sexual behavior.
- They improve performance of voluntary movements, such as reaction times for motor vehicle drivers.
- In school studies, neg-ions were shown to sharpen mental functioning and concentration levels and reduce error rates. Hyperactive kids were calmer, absenteeism was down and the teachers felt less fatigued.
- Neg-ions produce higher awareness levels and an overall calming effect.
- Physically, they provide relief from hay fever, migraine and burn and post-operative pains
Authors: James Karnstedt, Don Strachan